June 12, 2013
Welcome to The MassHOPE Messenger, an up-to-the-minute e-mail summary of events and other opportunities for homeschoolers as well as other news items related to home education.
If you have trouble reading the email version, please click here for the online version.
Calendar for future events:
- July 19, 2013 - Home School Foundation Benefit Concert, Bethlehem Bible Church, West Boylston, 7 pm.
- July 27, 2013 - Used Curriculum Sale, 10 am, Chapel of the Cross, Westborough
- April 25-26, 2014 - MassHOPE Convention, DCU Center Worcester – Mark your 2014 Calendar!
In This Issue...
- June 19 - Used Curriculum Sale in Centerville (Cape Cod)
- June 19-21 – Barry Stebbing Art Class, Sterling, MA - Sign-up NOW!
- June 22 - Classical Conversations group starting in Ayer – info meeting
- Starting June 28 – "Free Fun Fridays"
- June 29 - Family Day with Coalition for Marriage & Family
- July 17 - Mass Future has a "Day on the Hill" at the State House
- July 19 – Home School Foundation BENEFIT CONCERT
- July 27 – MassHOPE's annual Used Curriculum Sale - Get your books ready!
- Massachusetts Speech and Debate Club List
- College Dual Enrollment at MWCC, information sessions
- Getting Organized... the impossible dream?
- New online learning from Biblical perspective for high school science and math courses
- Inspire the little entrepreneur in your home! See what this kid did!
1. June 19 - Used Curriculum Sale in Centerville (Cape Cod)P.A.C.E. (Cape Cod Homeschool Support Group) annual Book Sale will be held from 9 am to noon on Wednesday, June 19th, at Christ Chapel, 1200 Old Stage Road in Centerville, Mass.
Full details are at capecodpace.blogspot.com
2. June 19-21 – Barry Stebbing Art Class, Sterling, MA - Sign-up NOW!Barry Stebbing Art Class - June 19 - 21 - Hope Chapel, 35 Chocksett Rd (right off I-190), Sterling
All homeschoolers welcome.
$30 per student (parents can sit in with children, but if they take the actual class, you do have to pay).
There is no deadline to sign up for this class. You can show up the morning of the class and register onsite!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you have signed up and are not receiving information, please email email@example.com
3. June 22 - Classical Conversations group starting in Ayer – info meetingWe are excited to announce that a new Classical Conversations community will be starting this Fall 2013! Classical Conversations is a model of home education that combines classical learning and a biblical worldview. Please see the Classical Conversations website for valuable information about the program: www.classicalconversations.com.
There will also be an informational meeting for interested families at 10am on Saturday, June 22nd at the Starbucks in Barnes & Noble located at 541 Lincoln Street in Worcester. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to join us!
Details for the upcoming community:
- Foundations, Essentials, and Challenge A will be offered
- The location for the community will be in Ayer, Mass, exact address TBD
- The group will meet on Wednesdays beginning at 9am.
- Classes will begin in late August, and end in April 2014.
- For interest or further information, please contact Jennifer King at email@example.com or 617-996-5886.
4. Starting June 28 – "Free Fun Fridays"This program has been going on for several summers. Tends to be a bit crowded some weeks, but a good opportunity for budget friendly educational field trips this summer.
5. June 29 - Family Day with Coalition for Marriage & FamilyA chance to meet some politicians and people who care about our Massachusetts legislative actions and how they affect marriage and families in the commonwealth.
Join the Coalition for Marriage and Family for a Family Fun Day on Saturday, June 29th from 2 to 7 pm at the home of Denise Minor, 212 Putnam Hill Rd., Sutton, Mass. The day will include a barbeque, face painting, games, and a bounce house! Special guests will include Representative Ryan Fattman, Peter Durant, and others. Donations of $45 per person, $65 per family, and $100 for a sponsor will be accepted. Please join us and RSVP to Bill Gillmeister by Tuesday, June 25th at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 508-344-6325.
6. July 17 - Mass Future has a "Day on the Hill" at the State HouseMassFuture, the official youth organization for the Coalition for Marriage and Family, will hold a "Day on the Hill," Tuesday, July 17, 2013 from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm in the Great Hall at the State House in Boston. Day-on-the-Hill participants will hear from pro-family, pro-life legislators, learn techniques to effectively lobby, learn about pro-family issues, meet elected officials and key leaders of the pro-family movement. Lunch will be provided. This is a great opportunity for homeschool students and other youth to get first-hand civics lessons and to network for those interested in a career politics.
7. July 19 – Home School Foundation BENEFIT CONCERTLooking for a great family evening? As a bonus on a summer night, the church is air conditioned! Please put this on your calendar! Hope to see you there!
A Summer Music Concert
Featuring Alicia Arnold Rattin (homeschool graduate), violinist; Mary Carfagna, cellist;
the Lillie Ladies String Ensemble (homeschooling family) and others!
To benefit the MacDonald Family Singers
Friday, July 19th, 2013Bethlehem Bible Church307 Lancaster Street
W. Boylston, MA 01583Coffee and light refreshments will be available following the concert. We welcome contributions!
If you are able to make or purchase something for the refreshment table,
please email the Muto family at: email@example.com.
An offering will be taken and given in its entirety to the MacDonald family, who lost their home and most of their musical instruments to a house fire last November. The MacDonalds are travelling, homeschooling musicians with a passion for ministry, and we want to help them purchase professional quality instruments comparable to the ones that were damaged or lost. You can learn more about their family here: www.macdonaldfamilysingers.com
.The Home School Foundation
has promised to match all donations up to $2,000! Cash or check is accepted. Please make checks payable to the Home School Foundation and put "MA Ambassador Fund" in the memo line."O Give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: because His mercy endureth forever"
- Psalm 118:1
8. July 27 – MassHOPE's annual Used Curriculum Sale - Get your books ready!General information on the used curriculum sale may be found here: masshope.org/ucs
You must register if you want to sell any books. For further info on selling: masshope.org/ucs/sell
We really need your help! Want to volunteer? If you volunteer 3 or more hours, you get the privilege of shopping one hour earlier than the general public! masshope.org/ucs/volunteer
9. Massachusetts Speech and Debate Club ListThis may only be a partial list, feel free to let us know of other clubs open to new members. The opportunity for developing public speaking skills is something you owe your children to prepare them for being able to speak well as an adult in any profession, and be ready to speak for God. Clubs offer opportunities for debates of various kinds, speech competition and even opportunities for being prepared to answer questions on what the Bible says on topics in a competitive forum. List was supplied to us by one of our 2013 convention speakers, Chap Bettis. Thank you, Chap.
10. College Dual Enrollment at MWCC, information sessions(Several over the summer 6/19, 7/17, 8/21 – get info NOW for fall)
Mount Wachusett Community College (Gardner, MA)
Dual Enrollment Information Sessions
Have you and your student considered an early college experience?
Information Sessions for interested dual enrollment students are being held monthly at Mount Wachusett Community College. Students and parents are encouraged to attend an information session prior to submitting an application for dual enrollment. Interested applicants may call MWCC Admissions at 978-630-9110 to sign up for an information session. The dates of sessions can be viewed at mwcc.edu/admissions/selective-program-information.
11. Getting Organized... the impossible dream?Getting organized is probably one of those things that homeschoolers struggle with the most. We have so many things to fit into our schedule. This site offers a free e-mail newsletter with tips as well as things to pay for. Free video this month on organizing your home (wants to sell you a book at the end, but has some good tips for free): www.getorganizednow.com
From this week's issue:
Establish a Daily Cleaning RoutineHas cleaning and organizing your home become overwhelming? It doesn't have to be, especially if you're willing to work on it a little bit every day?
Let me give you some examples:
You get the idea. Each of these chores only takes a few minutes out of your day to complete, versus leaving everything until the weekend.
- Quickly disinfecting the bathroom sinks,
- Tossing in one load of laundry,
- Vacuuming one room,
- Filing a few sheets of paper,
- Dusting one room per day.
If you let simple household chores go for a week or two, very often the situation becomes out-of-control. Let it go longer than that and deep cleaning and reorganizing time will be required!
Make a new commitment... 15-20 minutes of cleaning and organizing a day. The results will definitely be worth it!
If you're looking for even more tips to get organized and live a stress-free life, definitely take a few minutes to check out my brand NEW video, 'Top Organizing Secrets Revealed.' It includes very powerful organizing concepts, AND my NEW 5 Organizing T's... Ticklers, Timers, Tidbits, Tools and Treats. Visit www.getorganizednow.com
12. New online learning from Biblical perspective for high school science and math coursesNewer online schooling alternative for homeschoolers. Nice alternative for courses with a Biblical basis. You CAN homeschool high school in so many ways!
Online Mathematics and Science Courses:
All online courses offered by Dr. James Bartlett. Classes begin August 27th. Please see his website for schedule and registration information: biblicalconcourse.com/academy
| ||General Science|
13. Inspire the little entrepreneur in your home! See what this kid did!Fun story here of how a young person made lots of money selling an idea for a product! Inspire your little business person...
The Messenger is edited by Carol Arnold, MassHOPE Networking Director. Any questions about items in this e-news can be directed to her at Networking@masshope.org or 978-582-6290.
If you wish to unsubscribe, know another homeschooler who would like to receive our news, or have a change in e-mail address, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Items for possible inclusion in the news should be sent to email@example.com
. MassHOPE reserves the right to edit or reject any items submitted for the e-news.