Israel Wayne is a homeschool graduate and father of nine who is passionate about defending the Christian faith and developing a Biblical worldview. He is a popular conference speaker who desires to see God's people learn to think and live Biblically. Israel is the author of the books Homeschooling from a Biblical Worldview, Full-Time Parenting: A Guide to FamilyBased Discipleship, Questions God Asks, Questions Jesus Asks, Education: Does God Have an Opinion? A Biblical Apologetic for Christian Education & Homeschooling, and co-author of Pitchin' A Fit! Overcoming Angry & Stressed-Out Parenting (with his wife Brook).
- 06:30 Thu - The History of the Homeschooling Movement (at Hilton Garden)
- 08:30 Fri - Education: Does God Have An Opinion?
- 10:30 Fri - Pitchin' a Fit: Overcoming Angry and Stressed-Out Parenting
- 02:30 Fri - Homeschooling from A Biblical Worldview
- 08:30 Sat - Homeschooling: Preference or Conviction?
- 10:30 Sat - Being Salt & Light Families
- 01:30 Sat - Is Homeschooling Just for Women?
Jay Wile learned about his love for chemistry when his dedicated parents bought him his first chemistry set. Many stink bombs and a few explosions later, he was hooked! Although he loved chemistry, he also had many other interests. For a while, he thought about becoming a concert pianist, but unfortunately, his fingers were not long enough (no kidding!). As he was finishing up his high school years, he became extremely interested in the theater and began to pursue a career in acting. Partly because he learned the science behind some of the special effects of the plays in which he performed, he eventually went back to his first love: chemistry.
He went to the University of Rochester in upstate New York to study chemistry, and while he was there, he began working on nuclear chemistry experiments. He became so fascinated with nuclear chemistry that he stayed at the University of Rochester and got a Ph.D. in that field. For several years, he did research in the field under the auspices of the Department of Energy and the National Science Foundation. This research led to several grants and many publications. While doing research, Dr. Wile was also an assistant professor of chemistry.
Dr. Wile's love of science is demonstrated by the many awards he has won for excellence in teaching and research. He has also presented numerous lectures on the topics of Nuclear Chemistry, Christian Apologetics, Homeschooling, and Creation vs. Evolution. He has published 30 articles on these subjects in nationally-recognized, peer-reviewed journals, and has 9 books to his credit, most of which belong to the award-winning "Exploring Creation with" series of junior-high and high-school science courses.
- 07:40 Thu - Homeschooling: The Solution to Our Education Problem (at Hilton Garden)
- 09:30 Fri - Creation vs Evolution: Religion vs Science or Religion vs Religion? (teens)
- 11:30 Fri - Teaching Elementary Science Using History As a Guide
- 05:30 Fri - Reasonable Faith: The Scientific Case for Christianity
- 09:30 Sat - What About K-6 Science?
- 11:30 Sat - The Most Exciting Science Related to Creation
- 02:30 Sat - "Teaching" the Junior High and High School Sciences at Home
|Chap Bettis, author of The Disciple-Making Parent: Raising Your Children to Love and Follow Jesus Christ, is executive director of The Apollos Project, a ministry helping parents disciple their children. For 25 years, he was lead pastor in a New England church plant. He wrote The Donut Date Journal, Evangelism for the Tongue-Tied and The Fearless Apologetics Curriculum.|
He and his wife, Sharon, homeschooled their four children through grade school and high school. As a pastor for the past 25 years, Chap understands both the word of God and the everyday issues of family life. Growing up in a Christian home, he wrestled with questions about the faith. As an apologetics teacher for the past 12 years, he understands and has helped numerous young people overcome those nagging questions.
- 11:30 Fri - Prodigals: A Conversation and Some Strategies
- 09:30 Sat - Aaron and His Sons: Understanding the Dangers of Passive Fathering
|"She's so ENCOURAGING!" That's what moms say about Marilyn Boyer, home schooling author and mother of 14. Marilyn's heartfelt speaking style is both challenging and comforting, her content based on over thirty years' experience in home schooling her own children. Her many years in the trenches have convinced her that the most important part of an education is the building of godly character. That's why she created Character Concepts, a Bible-based curriculum for kids from preschool through high school.|
- 09:30 Fri - My Kids Hate School! Setting Them Free with Passion-Driven Learning
- 11:30 Fri - Homeschooling and Preschoolers Too?
- 02:30 Fri - Why I'm Glad I Homeschooled Through High School
- 10:30 Sat - Got Kids? Get Character!
- 01:30 Sat - WOW! You Mean THAT's HiStory?
|To home schooling parents, Rick Boyer is an author, speaker and home school pioneer who speaks from over thirty years of experience with fourteen children. To home schooled kids, Rick is "Uncle Rick," whose audio recordings take Scripture, history and adventure stories and turn them into delightful and life-changing character lessons. Rick presents biblical truth with homespun wisdom and side-splitting humor, along with (sometimes) period costumes to make his live presentations even more fascinating.|
- 10:30 Fri - Clutter, Clatter, and the Things that Matter
- 01:30 Fri - How to Reduce Screen Time without Starting a War
- 11:30 Sat - In the Valley of "How Long?"
|Thomas Clark is an award-winning teacher and Mathematics author, with 50 years of teaching experience at all levels. As a result of all of his work, he is convinced that everyone has the ability to understand mathematics, and is now known as the "why" guy, speaking throughout the country on concept development, specifically specializing in Mathematics instruction for homeschooling families. In the last 24 years, he has focused on the development of multimedia programs that have successfully challenged traditional methods of instruction, specifically directing his attention toward helping all parents to become more effective homeschool instructors. He is the author of "Algebra: A Complete Course", and "Geometry: A Complete Course", and is president of VideoText Interactive, a company that specializes in bringing the textbook to life through technology. Currently, his materials are available in print and DVD form, in online form, and can now be accessed on iPads, and iPhones.|
- 10:30 Fri - Homeschooling Math without a Plan? You've Got to Be Kidding!
- 01:30 Fri - Teaching Mathematics as a Language
- 10:30 Sat - Divinely Inspired Mathematics
|Dell holds two masters degrees (M.Div and ThM) in theology. He has served in several camp ministries around the nation as well as Director of Student Ministries in North Carolina and Florida. He is currently the Headmaster of Cary Christian School in Cary, NC. Before taking that position, Dell was an instructor at CCS in Theology, Apologetics, Church History and Old & New Testament as well as varsity football coach and directer of their Senior Service Practicum. During the summers, Dell travels with his family teaching Worldview Academy students. He, his wife and their three children live in North Carolina.|
- 09:30 Fri - The Next Name in the Toledoth
- 01:30 Fri - The Excellent Life (teens)
- 02:30 Fri - The Nature of God and Man (teens)
- 09:30 Sat - The Mystery of Godliness (teens)
- 10:30 Sat - Christian Ethics (teens)
|Mike serves HSLDA as Director of Global Outreach and as Staff Attorney for members in the states of Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Ohio, Tennessee, and West Virginia. As Director of Global Outreach, he coordinates HSLDA's support of homeschooling freedom around the world. Mike is also an adjunct professor of government at Patrick Henry College where he teaches constitutional law. He holds a juris doctorate with honors from the Boston University School of Law as a Paul J. Liacos Scholar and an LLM with merit in Constitutional and Human Rights Law from the London School of Economics. He is a member of the bars of New Hampshire, Massachusetts, West Virginia, the District of Columbia, and the United States Supreme Court. Mike's previous experience includes combat service during the first Persian Gulf War as a United States Army cavalry officer, private legal practice, and founding a nationally ranked internet marketing firm. Mike is an internationally published writer and a frequent conference and media spokesperson on homeschooling, educational freedom, parental rights, and human rights. His most recent publications appear in the International Journal of School Choice and Reform and Homeschooling in New View. Mike's other publications include the first-ever chapter on homeschooling in the four-volume global education policy series Balancing Freedom, Autonomy, and Accountability in Education, Religious Freedom in Education. Mike's work has appeared in the International Journal of Religious Freedom, Creature of the State, and Homeschooling in America and Europe: A Litmus Test of Democracy. Mike and his wife homeschool their seven children.|
- 07:10 Thu - The Compelling Case for Home Education (at Hilton Garden)
- 10:30 Fri - Elites to Homeschooling: We're Coming for You.
- 02:30 Fri - Taming the Hydra
- 10:30 Sat - Juggling on a Tightrope
- 01:30 Sat - Mistakes that Can Cost You Your Kids
- 02:30 Sat - Singled Out
|Dale has more than 34 years experience teaching Spanish to elementary, middle, and high school students in Florida. Senor Gamache and his family established a private Spanish language after-school program where they have taught hundreds of public, private, and homeschooled children in the Daytona area. They developed the LA CLASE DIVERTIDA DVD curriculum in 1999 while teaching these classes, and it has reached tens of thousands of families all over the world. Sr. Gamache instructs high school students from all over the country in live internet (not virtual) classrooms for high school credit. He has been a featured speaker on foreign language acquisition at homeschool and public school conventions. Dale and his wife live in the Daytona Beach area and have one daughter and a grandson Jensen.|
- 10:30 Fri - Foreign Language Learning at Home: Is It Achievable and If So...How?
- 01:30 Fri - Online Courses: Best Practices to Success
- 11:30 Sat - What Foreign Language Courses Will Pass the College Admissions Test?
- 01:30 Sat - Are Your Children's Smart Phones Making Them Dumb as Dirt
Pamela Gates, Certified Learning Specialist, (Dianne Craft Learning System)www.DianneCraft.org
Pamela Gates is a Certified Learning Specialist in the Dianne Craft Learning System and a Certified Natural Health Professional. She has 17 years' experience working with bright, hard-working, but struggling students. Pamela's workshops are filled with practical teaching strategies that parents find easy to implement right away. Pam's own daughter, Breanna, had severe auditory processing dyslexia. Using Dianne Craft's three-pronged approach (midline therapy, alternative teaching methods, and nutritional intervention), Breanna overcame her dyslexia and is now a Master's Candidate at UC-Denver. They now work together with families of struggling learners in Denver, Colorado. Parents find Pam's workshops to be lighthearted and life-changing.
- 09:30 Fri - Identifying and Correcting Blocked Learning Gates
- 11:30 Fri - Teaching the Right Brain Child
- 01:30 Fri - Smart Kids Who Hate to Write
- 09:30 Sat - Training the Photographic Memory
- 11:30 Sat - The Biology of Behavior
- 02:30 Sat - Auditory Processing and Memory
Walt & Glenda GrayumWalt and Glenda Grayum recently spent 29 years homeschooling their six children. All six are now adults, four are college graduates, four are married, one is currently serving as a missionary in Spain, and they have thirteen grandchildren - twelve of whom are currently being homeschooled! They have been teaching families how to get started in homeschooling for over twenty-eight years, and bring a wealth of practical experience to their workshop.
- 09:30 Fri & Sat - Homeschooling: Seven Steps to a Great Start
Lanny & Marilyn Johnson (Children's Program)Alpha Omega InstituteLanny and Marilyn Johnson are former evolutionists trained in the sciences. Creation teaching was instrumental in bringing them to a settled assurance that all of God's Word can be trusted. In 1993, God led them to join Alpha Omega Institute and establish the Children's Ministry to fortify children and families with the truth of the Bible and to help them avoid the pitfalls of evolution.
The Discover Creation programs are fun and educational. Fast paced power point programs, puppet shows, crafts, songs, and hands-on science activities all combine to help children understand the truth of Creation and the problems with evolution.
- DISCOVER CREATION CHILDREN'S ADVENTURE
Kim Kautzer, co-author of WriteShop I and II, loves to encourage and equip parents who have a tough time teaching writing. From personal experience, she can identify with the feelings of failure that follow when blank paper, insecure parent, and reluctant child share the same space. Her inspiring workshops reveal that teaching writing is more objective than you think, and with the right tools, you can guide and motivate struggling writers. Kim and Jim make their home in Southern California. They homeschooled for 15 years, graduating their youngest in 2003. Kim thrives on travel, reading, gardening, Sunday crosswords, and nine spunky grandkids.
- 09:30 Fri - The Writing Process: Inch by Inch, It's a Cinch!
- 11:30 Fri - Writing: Make It Relevant! Make It Fun!
- 02:30 Fri - 101 Ways (and Reasons) to Use Journaling in Your Homeschool
- 09:30 Sat - How to Motivate and Nurture Young Writers
- 11:30 Sat - Stretching Your Gifted Writer
- 01:30 Sat - Writing Skills: More Important than Ever!
Rhea Perry has educated her seven children at home since 1987. Her oldest son, Drew, brought his dad home from corporate America in just 3 years. Her second and fourth sons also created a business together that serves many of the businesses across north Alabama. An award-winning Internet business owner and widow, Rhea loves sharing her experience and knowledge of home business with homeschooling families. She believes education should empower students to serve God with their specific gifts as they build financial freedom through successful home businesses.
- 09:30 Fri - Home Business Education 101: Foundational Principles that Aren't Taught in School
- 11:30 Fri - How We Brought Our Dad Home from Corporate America in Just Three Years
- 10:30 Sat - Five Home Business Projects that Teach Financial Literacy and Create Income
Michael Shrock is currently one of the leaders and teachers at Fired Up Youth in Molalla, Oregon, a family youth ministry designed to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children and the children to their fathers. Fired Up Youth is a conservative valued discipleship group that reaches families from about 35 local churches dealing with topics that are directly related to youth and family. Mike is director of Operation Eternal Impact (OEI), a ministry that equips high school and college age young people to share their faith and make disciples. Mike and Rhonda have been happily married for 29 years, have 4 children, and have home schooled for 22 years."
- 10:30 Fri - Tinker Toys and God's Higher Ways (teens)
- 11:30 Fri - When You Feel Like Calling Fire Down from Heaven (teens)
- 01:30 Fri - Sons and Daughters: Helping Them Thrive after They Leave the Nest
- 11:30 Sat - What You Plant Is What You Get (teens)
- 01:30 Sat - Givers and Takers, Movers and Shakers (teens)
- 02:30 Sat - Work Wisdom from Proverbs (teens)
|"We envision a Connecticut where generations of families in freedom embrace their God-given responsibility to disciple their children through Christ-centered, parent-directed, home education."|
- 10:30 Sat - Connecticut Rights at Risk!
|Tomorrow's Filmmakers is an interactive, online Film Academy designed to further you as you further God's Kingdom through film. Our mission is to provide a one-stop, Christ-honoring place for you to learn about film and filmmaking and also how to immediately put into practice what you've learned and to laugh and have some fun along the way.|
Tomorrow's Filmmakers will be presenting a two hour session Friday morning, repeated Saturday morning.
Registration limit has been reached for each morning session. Sessions are now closed.
- 09:30 Fri & Sat - Filmmaking 101 Hands-on Workshop
Kim Wright is a lifelong learner, wife, mom to three and teacher of many. Before becoming a homeschool mom, Kim attended Texas A&M University, where she earned her degree in Elementary Education with an emphasis in reading education. This is where she first became an advocate for literacy education. After teaching in public schools, she began her homeschooling journey in 2004. When her oldest daughter struggled to learn how to read, Kim discovered the Logic of English and it revolutionized the way she taught reading. She is passionate about language, literacy, and learning, and over the past several years she has been very active in the homeschooling community. Currently, Kim conducts literacy work in the Dallas-Fort Worth area as a reading tutor, writing teacher, literacy advocate, and adult education volunteer. Next to Jesus and her family, her next greatest love is teaching.
- 02:30 Fri - Soaring Not Stumbling: Preventing and Teaching Struggling Readers and Spellers
- 01:30 Sat - Nerf Guns & Shaving Cream: Teaching Reading & Spelling to Kids Who Can't Sit Still
| || ||